Electrical Shock – Improperly Installed Equipment
1. We represented a Gladstone Public Safety dispatcher who was electrically shocked while using a headset that was hooked up to a radio system that was not properly grounded and/or protected against surges. At approximately 2:30 a.m. a surge arrestor at the local power company substation blew up. At about the same time, our client was casually talking with two police officers in the dispatch center when suddenly the lights flickered on and off; the monitors in the room flashed; and our client heard a loud airplane like noise over the radio console that she was connected to by way of a headset and earpiece resting in her right ear. Our client immediately felt a burning sensation in her right ear. The officers saw our client jerk backwards in her chair as if she was hit by something; they saw her lose consciousness; they saw her vomiting and shaking and they saw her wet herself. As a result of this shock event, our client suffered brain damage and could no longer work. After performing an in-depth investigation of all the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident, our firm filed a lawsuit on behalf of the dispatcher against the installer of the equipment, the manufacturers of the equipment, the power company, and the company responsible for the non-conductive floor system. After taking over 50 depositions all across the country, confidential settlements were reached with all of the defendants.
2. On January 25, 2002, G.B. was working as a roofer at a home in Mission Hills, Kansas. While he was standing on a ladder and installing a 10-foot piece of metal flashing, the flashing came into contact with a power line causing him to sustain electrical shock and fall 20-feet to the ground. We argued that the power company breached its duty to exercise the highest degree of care by placing its power line too close to the house. G.B.’s past and future medical costs were estimated to be $3,000,000.00, and his case was settled for a Confidential Amount.